Monday, September 22, 2014

Advocating for Yourself in the Midst of Ignorance



Less than a week ago, I was on the phone with my loan servicer. I called because one of my loans was under Standard repayment instead of IBR. I grit my teeth as I listened navigated through the automated menu. Per usual, the elevator music was less than stellar. Finally, a representative picked up my call. The conversation went something like this:


            Rep: Hi, how can I help you today Nadja? 

            Me: I’d like to have loan number XXYY placed on Income-Based Repayment please, just like my other loans. I filled out the yearly renewal through studentloans.gov over a month ago. 

            Rep: Let me take a look at your file. 

            Me: Thank you.

            Rep: Well, it appears that loan XXYY is a GradPlus loan. Those aren’t eligible for IBR, so that’s why it’s on Standard. 

            Me: Sir, I beg your pardon, but GradPlus loans made to students are eligible for IBR. (Note: I was looking at studentloans.gov’s repayment plan section as I spoke to him)

            Rep: I’m sorry Ma’am, but they are not. 

            Me: Sir, I’m looking at the official government website right now. The detailed explanation of IBR’s eligible loans includes GradPlus. Could I please speak to a supervisor? 

            Rep: Well, let me see if I can help you first. Can I put you on hold?

            Me: Sure. (By this point, I was frustrated. About three minutes later the rep came back onto the phone.

            Rep: I’m sorry about that. It appears that GradPlus loans are eligible for IBR. Well, you learn something new everyday. I’ll take care of it now. Your IBR repayment schedule for that loan should be processed in about 10 business days.

            Me: Thank you. I appreciate it. Have a good day.

            Rep: You too, Ma’am.

           

I’m sure you’ve had a similarly frustrating conversation with your loan servicer, or servicers. Thankfully, I have only one. Your loan servicer holds a great deal of power over your loan: they process your repayment paperwork, payments, and track eligibility for various repayment programs and loan forgiveness plans. 


            The representatives often get things wrong. Many are great, but many don’t know all the ins and outs of federal student loans. It’s quite scary. Servicers may not even take responsibility for their mistakes. See:





So, what can you do?


*Be informed about your loans and your options. 

*Keep notes of all phone conversations with reps. Make note of the rep’s name. Take screen caps of your “paperless inbox” if your servicer has one.

*Download statements as PDFs and keep them in a secure place. Some servicers will delete your financial information if your loan gets transferred to another. 

*Ask to speak to a supervisor if the representative seems to be giving you incorrect information. 

*If a supervisor doesn’t help, contact the Dept. of Ed. Ombudsman here:


*Submit a complaint to the CFPB here: 

*Check back with your loan servicer and make sure they do what they said they would. Be a squeaky, annoying wheel.



Do you have any frustrating stories to share? Feel free to comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Nadia, thanks for this, thanks for the links. My student loans are from about 6 different lenders (some dating back to 1998!). My loans keep changing companies, so it is very difficult to track. I'm grateful for this blog and am impressed with your research and willingness to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome, Jen :) I'm sorry that your servicers have been switched so often...it is insane. Thankfully, https://www.nslds.ed.gov should keep your loans/servicers straight, even if they take up to 30 days to update. Still, that site can be a headache to navigate. Just keep in mind that you are strong enough to beat them :)

    ReplyDelete