Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Student Debt Confessional



Hello, my name is Nadia, and I have student loan debt.

Sound familiar?

Thinking support group, maybe?

Me too. I would like to think that this blog will serve a similar purpose. Only time will tell. But one thing is clear. Besides the obvious financial burden, there are many psychological, emotional, and hidden costs associated with student loan debt. It has become an invisible divide that separates the haves from the have nots. The higher the number, the smaller and less empowered a person feels. Are you a former student, suffering in silence, resigned to the status quo. Afraid to speak out? Afraid of losing your job? Afraid of ballooning interest rates? Not sure how you are ever going to pay it all off?

  Using this blog as an interactive platform, I will be exploring the behind-the-scenes of financing and the gigantic mess that we now equate with student loans in the United States. Upcoming topics will deal with:

- student loan repayment programs,

- credit issues,

- forgiveness plans,

- debt reduction, and

- an alternative means to pay for college.

In future posts, I will be introducing you to a recruitment and job placement board -- currently under development -- that will allow you to find forgiveness-qualifying jobs (public service loan forgiveness, teacher loan forgiveness, etc.) in your area. If you would like to be notified when this service becomes available, please send me an email at: nadia@jawpln.org.

Lastly, I would most like to hear personal stories, be they good, bad, or ugly. And if you happen to be located from outside the USA, I particularly want to hear from you. Maybe we can benefit from your learning curve. And if you are not directly impacted as a (former) student, perhaps you have worked for an educational, financial or governmental institution dealing with loans and financial aid. I invite you to share your experiences and insights so we can learn what it is like to work on the other side of the desk.

In my next post, I will tell you my story and why I was motivated to start this blog in the first place. Until then, I am looking forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment